- Internet Access : Ensure you have a reliable internet access to stay up to date with the course content, information, and announcements.
- Technical requirements : Remember to clarify the technical requirements needed to access the course material or to attend the online exam with your instructor (E.g. Requirement certain browser, software or apps).
- Back up your files Do not forget to save and back up your files or assignments regularly. Set a timer to save or back up your work every hour. Backing up your files or data helps you to mitigate your stress if you encounter hardware failure, malware issues or other technical glitches.
- Keep a designated study space Choose a comfortable study area that is free from outside noises and interruptions. Inform your family members or roommates that you are taking an online course to avoid interruptions during your study. Try to work during a distraction-free time of the day.
- Participate in class discussion forums If your online course allows group interactions, engage in conversation with your classmates. Staying engaged can help you better understand the course content and may even earn you participation grades.
- Eliminate distractions Isolate yourself from distractions. Turn off receiving notifications in your phone, sign out from social media platforms, close all internet tabs that are not related to the course you are studying.
- Create study calendar and plan your assignments Make a study schedule for each course. Break big tasks into smaller ones. Then, anticipate how long the task will take. Finally, set and write down due dates for each task. Create a specified goal for each study session to help you to stay focused.
- Use student resources Use the online resources available to you (E.g. Library online resources, A-Z learning services (online services including tutoring, science drop-in, writing drop-in).
- Take breaks Give yourself small breaks to avoid consequences of staring at the computer monitor for long time or sitting in other position for extended periods. If you feel exhausted or loose concentration, take a break!
- Stay healthy Eat well, stay hydrated and get good sleep.